You may find yourself one day needing a lawyer but are not sure how you’ll pay the expensive legal fees. You may be able to receive the help you need, courtesy of the government. You can get a volunteer or government-paid lawyer to provide legal assistance if you would otherwise have trouble paying for legal services.

In other cases, though, you may qualify for help, regardless of your income level. In some circumstances, the government agencies that are responsible for regulating some groups and organizations may act as advocates on your behalf. If you’re not sure which agency may assist you in your particular situation, you can contact your state’s attorney general’s office for guidance.

In other cases yet, private lawyers and law firms donate their services to low- and moderate-income people, particularly if the case involves an issue that is of interest to them. Some examples might be helping people with disabilities, immigrants, the elderly, non-profit organizations, people with employment issues, and lots more. To find out if you may qualify, please visit On the website, first choose your state, then the category of your legal troubles. You’ll find free information on the website, plus how to get a referral for help from a legal representative.

I hope that you don’t ever need help with legal troubles, but if you do, it’s good to know there are resources available for you.